Chad Morris, the league’s referee trainer will hold a referee clinic from 10 AM to 1 PM on Saturday 27 August in the cafeteria at Tritt Elementary (4435 Post Oak Tritt Rd, Marietta, GA 30062). This is an opportunity for anyone who is interested in becoming a referee (or just wants to learn about the rules of fencing). It is also an opportunity for existing referees to renew their certification (which must be done every four years), or just refresh their knowledge. Seniors who are interested in refereeing next season can take the clinic but will not be able to referee while still at high school.
The clinic costs $15, but Pope Fencing will pay the fee for Pope parents, alumni and seniors. Anyone wanting to take the clinic should contact David Shook, or reply to the “Mark your Calendars” e-mail you were sent.
The parent meeting will be on Wednesday 17 August at 5:30 in the media center. Each fencer needs at least one parent to attend.
When parents arrive, the first thing to do is to pick up the information packet with their fencer’s name on it. The packet will include a blank copy of any forms that we have not yet received. Please complete any outstanding forms and give them to the volunteers.
The second thing to do is to pay the club dues ($160 for one fencer, $120 for additional siblings). Once the dues are paid, we have some goodies for you:
- All fencers receive one team t-shirt. The design is the same as last year. Choose adult size S, M, L, XL.
- Team socks are not yet available, but when they come in, All fencers will receive a pair of team socks.
- New fencers receive a Pope patch to wear on their fencing jacket
- New fencers receive a hard cover for their epee.
In addition to those freebies, you can purchase:
- Pope Fencing car magnets for $3
- Yard signs (“Home of a Pope Fencer”) for $15
- Additional team t-shirts for $10 ($15 for size 2XL)
- Additional Pope patches for $5
- Additional epee covers for $1
Once the new sock are available we will have additional pairs of socks for sale as well.
Once the meeting starts, we will introduce the coaches and this season’s Support Team (the volunteers who help run the team) and discuss the 2016-17 tournament season, after which the parents of returning fencers can leave.
Finally we will provide information about the club and about fencing for the parents of new fencers.