Although the Pope team competes in the Georgia High School Fencing League, several members of the team also competed in USA Fencing tournaments. USA Fencing is the National Governing Body for fencing in the US. The USA Fencing season ends on 31 July and the last Georgia tournament was on 21 July. Here is a summary of the successes that Pope fencers have had.
Georgia Division Points Lists
The Georgia Division of USA Fencing maintains points lists for different age groups and ratings based on results in tournaments held in Georgia. The following shows the final positions Pope fencers have earned along with their current rating (A through E, or U for unrated).
Senior Épée fencers rated A – C (57 fencers on the list)
- 7th place: Luben J (rated B)
- 13th place: Katie V R (rated C)
- 22nd place: Ian L (rated B)
Senior Épée fencers rated D & E (45 fencers on the list)
- 9th place: Christi N (rated E)
- 13th place: Jake W (rated D)
- 18th place: Chloe B (rated E)
Unrated Senior Épée fencers (85 fencers on the list)
- 15th place: Mike G (rated U)
- 27th place: Anthony S (rated U)
- 31st place: Anna DM (rated U)
Youth Épée fencers age 14 and under (22 fencers on the list)
- 14th place: Mitchell M (rated U)
Senior Foil fencers rated D & E (29 fencers on the list)
- 26th place: Ian L (rated D)
Unrated Senior Saber fencers (28 fencers on the list)
- 17th place: Ian L (rated U)
In addition, Aditya K competed in the qualifying tournament for Junior Olympics, but the Division doesn’t award points for Cadet and Junior events.
The Georgia State Championships for Senior Division I-A (Men’s and Women’s), Senior Division II (Mixed) and Junior (Mixed) were held as part of the Georgia Games in April. The events were open to fencers from all states, and the highest placed fencer from Georgia becomes the State Champion, the second highest placed fencer from Georgia takes second place in the state, and so on.
Katie V R, Luben J, Ian L and Christi N all competed in the Georgia Games.
- State Champion in Division I-A Women’s Épée
- 3rd in the state in Division II Mixed Épée
- 5th in the state in Junior Mixed Épée
- State Champion in Division II Mixed Épée.
- 7th in the state in Junior Mixed Épée.
- 6th in the state in Division II Mixed Épée.
- 2nd in the state in Division II Mixed Saber.
- 5th in the state in Junior Mixed Saber.
- 7th in the state in Division II Mixed Foil.
Christi’s championship results:
- 6th in the state in Division I-A Women’s Épée
North American Cups
North American Cups (NACs) are national level tournaments held about once a month during the season.
Christi N competed in the November NAC in Austin:
- 107th place in Cadet (Under 17) Women’s Épée
Katie V R competed in the March NAC in Cincinnati:
- 7th place in Division II Women’s Épée (winning a medal)
- 26th place in Division III Women’s Épée
National championships are split between two or three tournaments. Junior Olympics in February include championships for the Junior (under 20) and Cadet (under 17) age groups. Senior (age 13 through adult) championships are split into divisions based on the fencer’s rating: Division I (C and higher), Division I-A (all ratings), Division II (C and under) and Division III (D and under). Summer Nationals in July include championships for the Senior age group. The Division I championship is sometimes held in April so it can be used to select the US team for international competitions (like the Olympics) in the summer.
Katie V R, Ian L and Christi N earned places in championship events by finishing high in the Georgia qualifying tournaments.
Katie’s championship results:
- 31st place in Division I-A Women’s Épée
- 107th place in Division II Women’s Épée
- 55th place in Junior Women’s Épée
- 89th place in Cadet Women’s Épée
Ian’s championship results:
- 99th place in Division II Men’s Épée.
- 84th place in Division III Men’s Épée.
- 126th place in Division II Men’s Sabre.
Christi’s championship results:
- 128th place in Junior Women’s Épée
- 100th place in Cadet Women’s Épée
Congratulations to all of you on a great season!