The first National High School Fencing Championship will be held in Cleveland, Ohio on Memorial Day weekend. It is open to any fencer who is a student at a US high school in the 2010/11 school year. The website for the Championship is www.fencingchamps.com.
This is not a Pope High School or Cobb County School District trip. Fencers and their families must register for the tournament and make arrangements for the trip to Cleveland.
This is a great opportunity to fence with some of the better young fencers in the country. The current list of registered fencers includes several who are a rated “A” (the highest USFA rating) as well as others rated “B” – “E” and some who are unrated (“U”). If you are interested in competing, please let us know at the next practice.
If you are interested in going, you should definitely plan on warming up by competing in the tournament at Suwanee on March 26/27 (your USFA membership will be good for both). See the separate post below for information about that tournament.
- Fencers must be members of USFA (US Fencing Association). If you are not a member, you can sign up at http://usfencing.org/us-fencing-membership. Membership runs from August to July and costs $60 for one year (through July 2011) or $160 for three years (through July 2013).
- Tournament fees for one event will be $75 ($25 non-refundable registration fee plus $50 entry fee per event).
- Accommodation in Cleveland. The tournament has a negotiated rate of $79 plus tax (includes breakfast) at the Crowne Plaza which is 2 miles from the tournament.
- Transportation. Depending on how many are going, we will try to coordinate to minimise transportation costs.
- Deadline for regular registration is April 30 (fees double after that date)
- Deadline for canceling is May 10 (cancel by then to get back the $50 event fee).
- Women’s Épée is on Saturday May 28 at 12 Noon
- Men’s Épée is on Sunday May 29 at 8 AM